NATIONAL EMPOWERMENT CENTER
To view PDF files, download a free copy of Adobe Reader.
To view PowerPoint, presentations, download a free copy of the
CEU Credits Available
CEUs (Continuing Education Units) will be available for the Alternatives conference workshops and keynote sessions, approved by the School of Social Work at the University of Texas at Austin. CEUs are approved for Texas Social Workers, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFTs), and Licensed Professional Counselors (LPCs). People who wish to obtain CEUs will need to sign in at each workshop and keynote. They will send their completed participant attendance forms to the UT Office of Professional Development following the conference (with a check or money order for $20).
The University of Texas at Austin’s School of Social Work will serve as CEU sponsor for this conference. Programs are provided in accordance with the criteria and standards of the Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, and have been approved for Texas Social Workers, Licensed Professional Counselors and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists. Please note that 1 hour = 1 CEU. Participants can receive up to 20.25 Social Work, LPC or LMFT CEUs for attendance at conference workshop sessions and keynotes. Check with licensing agencies regarding questions about procedures for reporting for licensure renewal. If licensed in other professions or states, check with your licensing agency for reciprocity and/or approval.
Via Hope will award CEU credit for Certified Peer Specialists (CPS) from Texas. For other states, we recommend you check with your state certification agency to confirm if they recognize the Alternatives Conference as a source of CEUs.
Conference Program Available
The full Alternatives 2013 conference program is now available online - click here to view/download (PDF, 871KB, 48 pages).
This is just a sampling of the over 100 diverse workshops that will take place at Alternatives 2013, covering the latest topics in peer support, advocacy, recovery-oriented services, wellness, research, and more!
- History of the Consumer Movement - Sally Zinman, Tom Wittick
- The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic - Darby Penney
- Sound Out for Life (SOL): Talking About Hope, Suicide and Suicide Stigma to Peers and Communities - Eduardo Vega, Leah Harris, DeQuincy Lezine
- Alternatives to Suicide Peer-to-Peer Support Groups (Alt2su): Lessons From the Western Mass Recovery Learning Community - Janice Sorensen, Sean Donovan, Caroline M. White
- The Power of Peers: How to Advocate Effectively on the Individual and Systems Level - Joseph Rogers
- Lowering the Drawbridge: Peer Advocates and Psychiatrists Working Together for Change - Amy Zulich, Michael Jiong Yao
- Getting a Place at the Table: Ensuring the Inclusion of a Diversified Peer Workforce and Peer Recovery Services under the Affordable Care Act - Robert Rousseau
- Advocacy Is Everyone's Business: How Anyone Can Be a Change Agent - Jacob Bowling, Elisha Coffey, Lori Regan
Recovery and Peer Support
- Emotional CPR (eCPR), a Trauma-Informed Approach to Healing and Recovery - Eileen Rosen, Daniel Fisher (Also offered in Spanish by Maria Ostheimer)
- Bringing Together Addictions and Mental Health Peer Support - Steve Harrington, Tom Hill
- Discover the Hearing Voices Network - Lisa Forestell, Marty Hadge, Janice Curtis, Becky Edwards
- Trauma-Informed Peer Support: Meeting the Real-Life Challenges - Darby Penney, Cathy Cave
- Peer Power in Action: Changing the Culture by Creating Pathways to Independent Living - Mike Weaver, Margaret Rivers, Allison Crotty
- The Path to Peer Respite - Sera Davidow, Paula Gustafson, Gloria van den Burg, Alan Green, Rigel Flaherty
- Implementing Peer Provider Services into a Privatized Integrated Health Care System - Shannon Carr, Gerald Wilson, Michael Carey, Michele Guzman
- The Dynamic Duo for Depression Recovery: Peer Support and Web Conference - Vincent Caimano
- Peer ACTION: Transforming Lives by Minimizing the Impact of HIV-related Health Disparities - Yvette Patricia Pate
- Frontier/Rural Peer Psychiatric Emergency Response Options - Robyn Priest, Donna Mong
- Peer Debriefing and Elimination of Restraint and Seclusion in Inpatient and Crisis Settings - Howard Trachtman, Deni Cohodas, Deanna Bell, Holly Dixon
- Women Empowering Women: Accepting the Trauma Life Dealt, Forgiving, Moving Forward - Yvette Mcshan, Sharon Bagsbie, Tracy Love, Adrian Turner
- Voices from the African Diaspora: Exploring Healing through Word, Spirit and Sound - Rachel Bryant, Brianna Williams, Douglas Stewart
- Improving the Wellness of Transgender, Intersex, and Genderqueer Individuals - Iden McCollum
- How to Build a “Black Men Speak” or “Men of Color Group” for Wellness and Recovery in Your Community - Brian Hill, Joe L. Anderson, Harry Caldwell
- Traditional Healer's Project Model: Fighting Stigma in Hmong Communities - Daniel Esparza, Mai Y. Vang
- Building Communities of Wellness Across Differences - Durrie Allen, Vicki Hill, Stephanie Ozbun
- Desarrollando grupos multiculturales de apoyo mutuo de facilitadores y compañeros lideres para crear una comunidad unida e inclusiva (Developing Multicultural Peer Group Facilitators and Peer Support Leaders to Create a United and Inclusive Community) - Vivian Nuñez, Oscar Arzola
- WRAP® in Diverse Communities/Cultures and Relationships - Lala Doost, Letty Elenes, Kimberly Marquez, Rashad Eady
- MY LIFE Matters: Empowered Youth Voices for Change - Greg Dicharry, MY LIFE youth leaders
- Valuing the Young Adult Voice: Oh, the Places You'll Go! - Lauren Grimes, Lacy Kendrick Burk, Teresa King, Gwen White
- Innovative Approaches to Supporting Young Adults to Take Charge of Their Career Visions and Plans - Adrienne Scavera, Jo-Ann Sowers
- Embracing and Empowering Young Adults to Become Wellness Leaders - Ty Smith, Lacy Kendrick Burk
- What Gets Measured Gets Done: Evaluation as a Tool for Advocacy - Darcey Jane, Judy Oakden
- Thanks so much Tom, you and your family are often in my thoughts.
- Advocacy and Research Hand-in-Hand - Jean Campbell, Laysha Ostrow, Peggy Swarbrick, Priscilla Ridgeway
Technology and Communications
- Video Storytelling for Individuals and Nonprofits - Leah Harris, Evan Goodchild
- Get Media Savvy: Tools to Take Your Communications to the Next Level - Shannon Eliot, Jenee Darden, Sherman Park, Kelechi Ubozoh
- Making Your Voice Heard: Communicating your Message through the Media - Susan Rogers
- Unique Approaches to Military Veterans’ Wellness and Reintegration - Steve Robinson, David Berceli
- Veteran Specific Recovery Issues - Roberta L. Howard
- Holistic Approaches to Wellness: Moving Beyond Mental Health to Whole Health - Jeanie Whitecraft
- SAMHSA’s Wellness Initiative: Pathways to Holistic Wellness - Lauren Spiro, Jean Campbell, Cathy Cave
- Planting the Financial Wellness Seed - Donna Diamata, Mimi Martinez McKay, Janet Paleo
- Promoting Resilience and Well-being through a Trauma-informed Lens - William Kellibrew IV